PS3 test system - Play PS1, PS2 and PS3 games (all regions) + development tools. Is it worth it?



The PS3 test console plays on three generations of Playstation games: PS1, PS2 and PS3 in ALL REGIONS. Plus, it has a ton of fun development options.
Patreon: http://www.Patreon.com/MetalJesusRocks
Twitter: http://twitter.com/MetalJesusRocks
Facebook: http://facebook.com/MetalJesusRocks

Web: http://www.MetalJesusRocks.com
DISCORD CHAT: https://discord.gg/yAaAawV
T-shirts: http://shrsl.com/?~9quw

My video equipment and equipment:
Sony FDR-AX53 4K Camcorder: https://amzn.to/2JEWEPv
Rode Shotgun Microphone: https://amzn.to/2SOuTbb
Audio Technica AT4033 / CL (voice over): https://amzn.to/2QmrBdK
STUDIO LIGHTS: Aputure Light Storm LS 1C https://amzn.to/2OshPVB
Headphones: Meze 99 Classics: https://amzn.to/2Qmkyl9

Computer: Apple iMac 27 "with Final Cut Pro X: https://amzn.to/2yTq0FL
Elgato HD game capture devices: https://amzn.to/2QluLi3

Background music by Metal Jesus Rocks and Ethan Meixsell.

33 Comments

  1. The only problem I see with your video isn't necessarily the information you provide but how its brought out.
    While yes a ps3 test kit can do these things a strandrad ps3 cfw would be able to this task of running any regional games even easier than on a test.
    the only thing a test kit or tool should be used for in this instance is archiving prototypes or for youtubers like freako to mod ps3 games and developing homebrew. Otherwise this way of using one destroys possible protypes or unseen games on the ps3 making the archiving scene much harder as now people will mod it for profit destroying gaming history or rank up the price thinking you only use a test kit for this.
    I'm not saying that this video is comeplety bad but if next time you'd to a topic like this please just be more aware of what its meant for and make it more clear for those who dont know about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved my 1st gen ps3. It has since YLoD'd and is useless :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. I finally watched it!
    I can play Japanese Metal Gear Solid with this!
    My Optical Cable stopped working sometime ago, and I don't know why?
    I just got Back to the future on Bluray six years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Are test systems like that common or really rare?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Regarding the title, it's absolutely worth it! ....for the 6 weeks it lasts until the inevitable YLOD lol Great to see one of these in the wild though! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wish my ps3 was like that, our consoles would be way better if software wasn't locked.

    ReplyDelete
  7. if you mod a retail ps3, you can add "alot of this functionality." but it's difficult.


    two things, one is that it is not difficult, you do it through the internet browser, easiest mod ever.



    next;
    Metal jesus, a retail ps3 phat cecha01 is going to have full ps2 hardware onboard, and with cfw you can even apply widescreen pnatch files & pcsx2 filters.
    Owning a ps3 "test" is a huge waste of money, and honestly telling your viewers it is the "ultimate" ps3 is just wrong, the reason you had issues with ps2 games is because the test units are equivelent to the ceche01, which is only semi-back compat.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Always wanted one before
    I ended up getting the 250gb ps3 slim back in 09

    ReplyDelete
  9. A little known game called Final Fantasy 7 used the O as confirm and X as cancel as well.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm guessing it will be hardware accelerated like most of the first wave of PS3s, later models opted for software/hardware and then most just didn't have the parts or software for PS2 emulation anymore.

    (Perfect backwards compatibility came at such a cost with the first models literally having the PS2s main chip on the 3 which made it less appealing to the consumer, so corners got cut and now people are complaining their 4s can't play 3 games ect, if it could the system would've been pricey as hell)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have all 3 test models and the tool too

    ReplyDelete
  12. Coool but don't use it too much you know YLOD thing and thermal paste problems

    ReplyDelete
  13. So, basically it is just a DEX console. By DEX I mean when you jailbreak a console you can use DEX firmware to use mod menus!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Why can't we change the round button behavior on the final units ?
    As a mostly Nintendo player, and considering the Japanese layout, I wish I could use round instead of cross.

    ReplyDelete
  15. jailbroken ps3 would do the same or even better. atleast i don't have to get a physical copy of my fav games, i can get digital one and I'm ready to go.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Interesting video and I really don't get why Sony did this. This would have been awesome. And maybe I would still own a PS3 if it could play PS2 games

    ReplyDelete
  17. This isn't a test system you just jailbroke your ps3 with Rebug lol

    ReplyDelete
  18. had a 60gig PS3 with the backwards compatibility, piece of shit YLOD.

    ReplyDelete
  19. "He's heavy metal jesus" insert metal asf riff here.

    ReplyDelete
  20. O is not an OH but a circle. You said the correct term for the cross button but then say the wrong one for the easiest of them all

    ReplyDelete
  21. That looks suspiciously like Rebug custom firmware, which can also launch PSP titles, in addition to PSX, PS2, and PS3 games. I know this, because my PS3 is jailbroken. Now I see exactly what Rebug and Cobra based their firmware tools on! Great video, and quite nostalgic.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Even I did it, and it was my first modded system. Modding the ps3 ain't hard.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Could've made this as a ps3 pro but also be upgraded

    ReplyDelete
  24. There's certain PAL PS2 games that give you an option to run at 50hz or 60hz even on the normal PS3, doesn't need to be a test or modded one.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I too have a system that plays all ps1, ps2 and ps3 games regardless of region and up-scaled to 4k. It's called a PC.

    ReplyDelete
  26. They have them on eBay for about $500 from the UK. Wish they were more common.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Can you play dbz budokai tenkaichi 3 on this ps3 ??

    ReplyDelete
  28. Pretty much the same as a ps3 cfw

    ReplyDelete
  29. Sir can my ps3 test play blueray games like uncharted3? Help sir

    ReplyDelete
  30. The "Debugging Station" is the real Ultimate PS3 ;)
    Which acturally has extra hardware

    However a "testkit" is just a fancy retail with a different firmware (yes hdcp is still just a different, just the firmware of the HDMI controller chip)

    Also your wrong about np-enviroment, it's not a way to avoid being banned, it's a way to connecting to different PSN Servers wether it be the NP server (retail) or sp-int (developer psn) there are a few others such as prod-qa (quality assurance) and kurokawa (which is localhost), MGMT and more.

    "Invalid" is not an environment, it's automatically changed to this when a invalid env is entered - while it's set to invalid you cannot connect to PSN at all.

    "Pad auto connect" has nothing to do with paddles or the psvita- it refers to if the dualshock 3 controller will automatically connect to the console or if you have to plug it in each time

    Btw- God forbid you want to update that things firmware, it can be difficult to source the firmware update files

    Another thing to note is newer PlayStation development devices have an activation system where you can connect to it every 3 weeks or so (bigger studios get longer). While deactivated it cannot play retail games or run unsigned code-
    It's possible to get around some of the time

    Sony doesnt acturally produce PS3 test anymore only debugging stations ;)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post