What is the best single board computer for Android?



So what is the best single board computer to run Android?
In this video, I'm talking about some of the newer single card computers like the RockPro RK3399 Raspberry Pi 4, ODroid N2 and I'm telling you what I personally think is the best SBC to run Android in 2020 and why.

Buy the Shield TV on Amazon: https://amzn.to/2QfU2Ng
Odroid N2 Ameridroid: https://ameridroid.com/

Follow me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/theetaprime
Follow me on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/etaprime/

Equipment I use:
Screen capture device: https://amzn.to/2STpX4C
Tool kit: https://amzn.to/2M6l9WS
Soldering station: https://amzn.to/2FtdVeu
Camera: https://amzn.to/2M6KFLB
Tripod: https://amzn.to/2CmdYVY
Raspberry Pi 3 B Plus: https://amzn.to/2DTF0Db
Flirc case: https://amzn.to/2OBQTXz

DISCLAIMER: This video and description contain affiliate links, which means that if you click on one of the product links, I will receive a small commission at no additional cost to you!

THIS VIDEO IS ONLY FOR EDUCATIONAL PURPOSES! .

36 Comments

  1. I chose another RK3399 SBC release by Lenovo,support Android 9 and 7.12

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pi should have android 9 atlest and how many waiting to play PUBG on pi ....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anyone know if the shield is going to get Android 10? Would love to use ps4 remote play with it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ETA PRIME You got one detail wrong. Odroid does provide official Android image for N2 and actually XU4 too. Voodik builds on top of the core OS developed by Odroid and sometimes provides solution to official branch bugs too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Still waiting on the one board to rule them all playing anything up to ps2, gc, xbox1.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just curious why none of the X86 boards?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, great video, just what I was looking for. We are working on a project using a SBC that must run Android. Does Odroid or any other SBC manufacturer make a SBC that can support up to 3 screens? For example, the 3 screen connections could be 2 x HDMI and a display ribbon connector on the SBC, Happy to also use DP or combination of HDMI, DP and the display ribbon connector. The display ribbon connector will be used to drive the primary screen with the option to connect two more screens. Ideally I am also looking for an Android based SBC with 8GB ram. WIFI and Bluetooth although if these connections are not on the main board I am happy to go down the path of using an add-on board. So far I haven't been able to find an Android SBC that can support up to 3 screens. Any advice you can provide will help us greatly. Thanks Chris

    ReplyDelete
  8. No Tinker Board? Probably not quite popular since it is a 32 bit system

    ReplyDelete
  9. the best SBC ....to ruin it with that android garbage

    ReplyDelete
  10. An Odroid N2 will set you back by $96.50 for the 4GB CoreELEC edition (discounted to $75 for a limited time right now). That doesn't include an eMMC module which will cost you an extra ~$40.


    I've just received a Beelink GT King Pro for ~$140 which has everything the Odroid N2 has plus eMMC storage in a neat little package. The build quality is fantastic. You can even opt for the non Pro version which has been out for a while that costs about ~$90 at the moment; the only reason I didn't go for that version is the plastic unventilated case. The Pro has a metal case with ventilation slots. It also sports an S922X-H SoC which is a variant of S922X-B with the addition of Dolby DTS licensing. The S922X-B is an upgrade to the S922X. I can't remember the specifics and Google is failing me right now, but the performance should be better.


    I looked into SBCs for a long time to get the maximum price/performance for my needs and eventually came to the conclusion that SBCs aren't worth it unless you want to tinker with hardware. If you just want to run software on low powered ARM devices your best bet is a pre-built Android TV box like Beelinks. The UGOOS AM6 would be a viable alternative if it were cheaper as it has 2GB RAM, 16GB eMMC compared to the 4GB RAM, 64GB eMMC of the Beelink GT Kings but costs about the same for a GT King (non-Pro)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very informative. Haven't tried try Android on a single board yet. This will help me out on which to use.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Can you do one of these for Linux?

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm running Android 7.12 on a Asus Tinkerboard. The linux image isn't good but the android works perfectly for my needs. But yeah, Nvidia Shield is the best by far (wish they had 4GB or 8GB models).

    ReplyDelete
  14. There is an Allwinner H6 TV box with 4GB RAM and 64GB Flash running Android 9.0. $34 shipped!

    ReplyDelete
  15. SBC's for Android is kinda dumb anyway, you would use a SBC for some discrete task with dedicated, often soldered or pin connected hardware, or maybe as a tiny web server. Doing this embedded stuff from a overly restricted Android OS is kinda dumb. Linux can do anything that Android can except run Play Store Apps, once you actually need Android Apps you don't really need the capabilities of an SBC so just go get a Shield or cheap TV box.
    I'm writing software for embedded systems and SoM based hardware for a living, and I do play games as a hobby but I don't see the point of putting android on a device that is more expensive and less capable than existing android offers for no good reason.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I was thinking on buying a tinker board s to run Android. Is it a bad option?

    ReplyDelete
  17. You don't have a 'lake chip 🤔 nice review

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm trying to find a cost-effective (less than $100) X86 SBC for an application for work that can run Win10 IOT Enterprise. Any tips?

    ReplyDelete
  19. I also like the Shield but for me its a bit pain in the arse when it comes to flashing and twrp. So many times i got stuck at bootlogo and had to debrick. Actually i'm on rooted 8.0.0 with Magisk and its ok but i really would like to see a stable custom rom on the shield. Any ideas?

    The odroid n2 sounds good! Said that there is no support for streaming services like Netflix.

    ReplyDelete
  20. It is retarded why screen mirroring is still such a mayhem. I can t mirror my 2017 nokia 3 screen to my 2019 LG Oled. Even with a straight MHL Cable this won't work, while i could to this flawlessly 5 year ago with a Samsung s6 to a 10 year old Philips HD TV. Wouldn't this be the easiest way to play android games to a widescreen tv? Controller bluetooth connected to the smartphone....

    ReplyDelete
  21. I think you should have a look at Khadas Vim3 ,look for 64bit rom with Vulcan support.

    ReplyDelete
  22. ETA please do a step by step on how to flash a emmc with android for odroid N2. Please

    ReplyDelete
  23. I have an n2 but I'm running thera. Haven't tried Android yet

    ReplyDelete
  24. One advantage to running Android mobile OS vs TV OS is you don't need to use a Google account. After purchasing an SBC, power supply, case, HDMI cable, Bluetooth adapter, and Wi-Fi adapter, buying an Android box may be the most cost effective option. I like the Minix U9-H with the amlogic S912. I know it's not as good as S922x devices, but it allows me to change the launcher. I didn't know this can be an issue for some devices until I tried to change the launcher on my Mecool M8S Plus W (S905W, Not recommended). The Mecool device will always boot in the original and ugly launcher. I have fixed this by changing the launchers .apk extension to apk.null. If I don't change it back before a factory reset, it will brick my device. While the Minix may be overpriced, I don't have the issues other manufacturers devices have. I wish more reviews would mention if you can easily change the launcher or if you're stuck with the stock (and often ugly) interface.

    ReplyDelete
  25. @ETA Prime. Can you do one for the Best Single Board Computer as desktop PC running some flavour of Linux? Test to assess performance on web browsing, Youtube video (smooth or stuttering), Netflix, emails, basic word processing and spreadsheet. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  26. why not just use the latte panda and x86 android?

    ReplyDelete
  27. I'am One of the People Who asked !!!! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  28. Would be cool to see you try and make a completely functional phone from a single board computer

    ReplyDelete
  29. anyone know if an updated USABLE version of android tv x86 is in works or available? the one thats currently out wont even let me get into a file browser to install apk files.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I curious why there's no snapdragon SBC in the market?

    ReplyDelete
  31. @ETA PRIME will you make a video of the new Batocera version 5.24? It has been released a few days ago and it is really amazing! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  32. I use old asus tinkerboard with android and it suits me well...

    ReplyDelete
  33. Any plans to test emulation on the Huawei Mediapad M6 Turbo? It's 8.4" screen really hits that sweet spot.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Can you do a video about what the best SBC for emulation would be?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post